1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Katherine Lee

The Santa Talk

By December 3, 2009

My son, who is 8 years old, just wrote his letter to Santa this week. It was one of the sweetest yet. He wrote, "Dear Santa. I don't want you to work too hard on Christmas night, so I only have a request for one present: Wii Ski, the Wii game. Thank you! Love, Sam." Then he added, "P.S. I am very, very thankful for what you have given me in the past."

The thing that's remarkable (aside from my son's gratitude and concern for Santa's well being) is that my son had expressed suspicions about Santa as much as two years ago. Not too long after my friend's husband, Ben, dressed up as Santa at a kids' Christmas party, my son asked me where Ben had been when Santa visited. I told him that Ben had probably been in the kitchen. Then my son looked me in the eye and asked, "Mom, have you ever lied to me?'" I squirmed and said, "What do you mean?" whereupon my son asked, "Was that really Santa?"

Now really sweating under the hot lights of interrogation, I said, "I believe in the magic of Santa." That seemed to satisfy him, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief and tucked him into bed.

Since then, we are coming upon another Christmas with a heartfelt letter to Santa. I've spoken to a number of other third-grade parents who said their kids don't believe in Santa anymore. I am not sure if my son has talked to their kids about this, but I'm reluctant to even bring up the subject with my child. After all, wouldn't it be great if we could all believe in Santa for as long as possible? No matter what your faith or background, couldn't we all do with more magic and love in our childhood memories?

Have you had the Santa talk with your child yet?

Comments
December 4, 2009 at 6:42 am
(1) Jen says:

We told our daughter that Santa lives in the hearts of those who give to others, and that now she has an opportunity to become Santa to someone else. She loved that idea, and now a teenager, looks forward to giving every year.

December 4, 2009 at 10:11 am
(2) cruz says:

Great story, I am bit crushed i always thought santa was real

December 7, 2009 at 5:18 pm
(3) Debra says:

My 10 year old still acts like she believes in Santa. I’m pretty sure that kids talk about this in school and it may be that she is just going along because she’s worried that she’ll lose out on the gifts! Our family therapist thinks that it’s important for her to acknowledge the “Santa situation” eventually and start to move into a “Santa’s helper” role. My mom always told me that Santa will come for anyone who believes in him and I still get a Santa gift every year!

December 7, 2009 at 7:28 pm
(4) lisa says:

I always tell my children that Santa is the spirit of giving.
Even my oldest believes.
It is important to believe, because childrenneed hope and faith. There is too much negative things out there.
But Christmas is a time to reinforce the belief that anything is possible. Santa represents many things. Like,
kindness, love, peace and miracles(magic). Santa will always be real, as long as you keep him in your heart.

December 7, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(5) SLB says:

WHAT??? Santa’s not real??? :)

My 5yr old has started to say “jokingly” that she doesn’t think Santa’s real. Whenever I say, “you don’t, huh?” she quickly says, “okay, okay, I believe in Santa!” I think it’s because she thinks that “Polar Express” story is real — that if she doesn’t believe, she won’t be able to hear the bells ring! In a way, that’s true isn’t it? — it’s not the guy coming down the chimney who’s magic, it’s that faith gives our kids the ability to see and hear the beauty around them. I like the idea of “Santa being the giver of love in us all” and that one day she will be Santa for other little kids. So yes, Santa’s real and will remain real in our household :)

December 8, 2009 at 11:30 am
(6) Cam says:

My 11 year old put 2 and 2 together and realized who Santa really was. ;) Now she enjoys being Santa to her 3 younger siblings.

December 22, 2010 at 7:12 pm