One of the four types of writing your will need to learn how to write is persuasive writing. Persuasive writing is used to express an opinion (or take a position) and uses facts, statistics and other data to back it up and convince the reader that this position is correct.
Persuasive writing contains:
- a clearly stated opinion statement at the beginning of the piece.
- direct and detailed paragraphs composed using the hamburger writing technique.
- data to back up the writer’s position and/or to disprove the opposing view.
Persuasive writing is used for:
- debate position papers (papers that are turned in to show research after a verbal debate).
- editorial pieces (i.e. “letters to the editor”).
- book reviews.